When I was 21, I lived just outside Paris.
It was the most wonderful thing.
My roommate and I had our own wing of a house in Croissy-Sur-Seine. We would ride the RER red line into the city every morning for class, which was held around the corner from the Centre Pompidou. Except for Art History class. That class was held in museums, usually the Louvre, but also the Orsay, Marmotan, Picasso museum and the Rodin sculpture garden. We bought nutella crepes from street vendors for €2.50 and ham and butter sandwiches from the boulangeries for €1.50. We would check our email at the American Library and sometimes do research there for a class. We would ride the train back home at night, past the illuminated monuments of La Tour Eiffel and the Arch de la Defense.
Our study abroad group went on trips by bus and train all around Europe. Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Italy. We went to Provence, Normandy, Giverny and the valley of castles.
Our ward met for church in Versailles, and I helped out in the nursery. I gave a talk once in church near the end of my time there. It was the best French I have ever spoken and I thought that must have been what it would have felt like to be a missionary.
It was in Paris that I decided to change my Humanities emphasis from French teaching to Art History. I wanted to hold onto the feeling of being surrounded by beauty and significance. I wanted to have every excuse possible to lurk in museums and analyze film and talk about architecture.
I met some of my dearest friends in Paris. It's amazing how you can spend almost 4 months in such close quarters with people and still find that you wish you had more time together. And still feel that way almost 10 years later.
In all seriousness and without an ounce of exaggeration, to me, everything about Paris was wonderful. I could have stayed there forever. I would move back there in a heartbeat and take my family with me. My heart loves Paris.
4 comments:
Truly one of the best times of my life. I met some of my dearest friends there (you know you're one of them, ma chere!) and had some of the sweetest adventures. For someone who likes routine, familiarity, and not speaking French poorly in front of others, study abroad was not something I ever expected to do. When I told my mom I wanted to study in Paris, she (standing at the sink doing dishes) stopped, turned, and said, "Wait--YOU want to? Seriously? You?" I truly felt prompted to do it, even after meeting my now-husband months before we had to leave. And to this day, I can still remember what Paris smelled like (cigarette smoke mixed with city smells), what the light coming through my attic window looked like, what that gush of warm, stinky Metro air felt like on my face. I did a lot of growing up, a lot of character building, and a lot of soul searching in that wonderful city. And I made some of the most precious friendships of my life! I don't know what it was, but I think needing each other and sharing the same adventures made tiny differences that might have mattered on campus simply melt away. (Do you remember how much fun we had in that very, very humid hostel/cave?!) Paris has its ups and downs like any city, but every cobblestone and Metro mouse and crumbly old building is dear to me. Minus the Metro police--I don't miss them. I donated 60 euros to their cause after hopping one turnstile and riding to the end of the line without the proper pass, and enjoyed a highly colorful rant and sobbing on my shoulder from Dana following our second run-in with them! Good times.
Amen! I love Paris with everything in me. And I'm so glad it brought us together. I'll never forget our sleepovers and that trip to Italy. Oh, the memories. Love you!
Most definitely my favorite semester of college! I would not trade the experience of living abroad for anything. And I'm glad you were out there in the 'burbs with the rest of us cool kids ;) Loved our sleepovers as well and sleeping at Camp Emphazima (HA!) in Venice. Glad we also got to follow up that semester by living in the same complex!
All I can say is, I completely agree! It was such a wonderful experience and I would give anything to share it with my family. I loved everyone dearly that shared in that experience with me!
Post a Comment